Tuesday, November 8, 2016

ALL BRAVO 3 ROMEO ELEMENTS - THIS IS ROMEO 25, OVER.

     If you have read, and remember, Harold Coyle's excellent novel, you might find some familiarity with this bog post's title. ;-)


     The wargaming world has been experiencing a resurgence of Cold War enthusiasm through Battlefront and its Team Yankee line. Being a Cold War serviceman, I had no choice but to eventually join this wave myself. There are a number of gamers who are showing preference to 6mm for the genre, but I couldn't go that route as my primary scale as I wanted to give it the best reatment my time and energies could give. Battlefront's Bannon's Boys starter set is the first box on the bench. (Mostly due to my Bundeswehr force still en route via the parcel carrier company).

     Before getting started, I had to decide on a paint scheme. Well, rather I didn't have to! In 1985, the M1 tanks serving in USAEUR and with the V and VII US Corps were sporting monochrome, forest green liveries. While they may have had winter white sprasely applied for specific, short term occasions, they are believed to have been solely forest green until sometime at the very end of the decade.

     Now that the paint scheme was decided, I next had to plan on the products to be used, the method for their application, and the final finish appearance. I wanted a clean, (fairly) bright finish, sublte shadows, and subtle accentuation of the raised details. The steps include a black undercoat, base color applied carefully to panel centers and a deliberately applied drybrush. I would forgo any washes which is not my usual. Products used in order of application. Tamiya Color (TC), Vallejo Model Color (VMC), AK Interactive (AKI):

Primer:
TC NATO Black

Hull and turret:
VMC US Dark Green
VMC US Dark Green + VMC Iraqi Sand (2:1) (drybrush)

Road wheel rubber rims, mud flaps:
AKI Black Primer

Tracks, machine guns:
AKI Black Pimer
VMC Basalt Grey (drybrush)

Tail lights:
VMC Red
VMC Flat Red

Finish:
AKI Matt Varnish




     Final thoughts: I am quite pleased with their final appearance, and have decided that this will be my standard style of paintwork for vehicles from here on out. I usually have to walk away from my work, and take a breather, before I can decide that I can "live" with my results. This go around, I suffered no delay, no second thoughts, just a warm and fuzzy. Maybe it's the subject matter, maybe it's the lack of an extravagant camouflage, or maybe I just didn't fumble up as I usually do? lol

Now to get those Cobras onto the bench...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, brother.

    Time is running out on anything new getting onto the bench. [Will need to pull up tent stakes and line up for SP] Those Cobras might stay on their sprues, then again... ;-)

    ReplyDelete