Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Panthers Fresh From the Bench

     After a number of months of languishing on the workbench, I finally completed my "very" late war Panther Ausf G platoon. I wanted to add the infrared (IR) equipment as I intend on a larger force of Uhu half tracks and IR equipped infantry. The two color paint scheme is inspired from some plastic model box art of a pair of late war Panthers with accompanying infantry as they fight on the grounds of a manor house. I had to wait a bit for the right decals, which came from Dom's Decals in England. Dom's are great products that leave little to no silvering and are offered in a wide variety of options. I have a whole drawer full of his sets because each time I've ordered, I make sure to pick up more product codes than just for the project at hand. I am sure that before too long, I will have them all.



Products used in order of application. AK Interactive (AKI), Vallejo Model Color (VMC), Vallejo Panzer Aces (VPA):

Primer:
AKI Grey Surface Primer

Hull and turret:
AKI Dunkelgelb Base
AKI Olivgrün Base

Replacement road wheel:
VMC Middlestone

Road wheel rubber rims:
VMC Black+VMC Black Grey (1:1)

Tracks:
VMC Flat Brown+VMC Black (2:1)
VMC Gunmetal Grey (drybrush)

Spare Tracks:
VMC Flat Brown+VMC Black (2:1)
VMC Flat Brown (drybrush)

Machine gun, metal tools:
VMC Black+VMC Black Grey (2:1)
VMC Black+VMC Gunmetal Grey (1:1)
VMC Gunmetal Grey (drybrush)

Jacking block and wooden tool handles:
VPA Old Wood
VPA New Wood

Infrared Optical lenses:
VMC Black

Weathering and finish:
AKI Satin Varnish
AKI Enamel Wash Brown for Green Vehicles
VMC Middlestone + VMC White (5:1) (drybrush)
AKI Ultra Matte Varnish+VMC Matte Varnish (1:1)

The inspiration:


     Final thoughts: I am pleased with their final appearance. I liked doing a two-color scheme as not all German paint jobs were created equal. Not sure if anyone knows the difference, but in reality, IR equipped panthers were predominantly (if not all) painted in an ambush pattern. Either disc type, or with over sprayed spots. Does it really matter? The green and yellow scheme is plausible, as is the use of IR. Besides, if I ever decide to do something closer to reality, I am only a box of plastic Panthers away from another platoon. Maybe this one could fund the second? ;-)

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful work there my friend. Good to see you getting some vehicles off the assembly line. These fellows are ready for a battlegroup overlord game against your canadian tanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely ready for Battlegroup table play! Very soon on the table-de-Whitesell! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Best vehicle painting I have ever seen sir! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work there my friend. Good to see you getting some vehicles off the assembly line. These fellows are ready for a battlegroup overlord game against your canadian tanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Martin, you are very kind!

      I am always highly impressed with your beautifully painted and based units.

      Delete